Sunday, September 21, 2008

Don't Listen To Me, Do Your Own Research

Over the past couple of weeks, I published some posts that disclosed my position in the presidential contest. Naturally I wouldn't think that anything I say would have an effect on how someone else would think. But I've also been in contact with people who would believe what they see in a political ad, or even what they get in a chain email. So as a service to those who wish to cut through the clutter of misinformation, I offer some resources.

From the Annenberg Public Policy Center, we have FactCheck.org, and from the St. Petersburg Times comes PolitiFact.com. Both of these sites take the campaign commercials and stump speeches and analyze them to separate the truth from the spin. Anytime you see a new campaign commercial, go to one of these sites BEFORE you send that email to your friends on the latest candidate gotcha.

Finally, to put to rest those urban legends surrounding the candidates, there's the politics section of the Urban Legends Reference Pages at snopes.com. I hope you find all that useful.

, , , , ,

0 astute observations :