Thursday, November 06, 2008

Might As Well Be Talking About Creationists, Too

In his most recent post, Dr. Phil calls out an emailer for simply regurgitating something that person may have read in another email. We see it all the time, people who will cherry pick a fact, or just pass along rubbish they picked up from somewhere else. Indeed, if you substitute "global warming" with "evolution" or "9-11 truth", you'll have a quick grasp of the intellectual arguments of the day.

Greenhouse hot air | Bad Astronomy | Discover Magazine
And they’ve been studying it a long, long time. It’s a very difficult field of research, fraught with hidden variables, difficult measurements, and political landmines. But chances are they know more about this than you and I do. There’s a reason they’re called experts, folks.

So the next time you want to send me some snarky email to embarrass me about some piece of info you just found on the intertoobs, please do yourself a favor: stop, think for just a moment, and ask yourself: "Is this really likely to have been missed by thousands of really smart highly educated people who have been studying this field for a combined length of time equaling many man-millennia?" The embarrassment you save just might be your own.


, , , ,

2 astute observations :

  1. Ariel said...

    What do you mean "intellectual arguments"? *snort* Anything but. As for Dr Phil, oh dear, oh dear... I worry for the mental health of a country in which such people can become popular. In fact, I plainly worry about mankind's future, regardless of where we are located.

  2. richmanwisco said...

    I do believe that the Dr. Phil you are referring to is not the Dr. Phil I refer to. I think by reading the complete article I link to you'll be able to put my post into the proper context.