Monday, October 01, 2007

Fat Albert


I arrived in Salinas, California earlier today for a routine business trip, and I decided to take a trip out to the local airport to have a look around. And look at what I spotted on the ramp. It was "Fat Albert", the support plane for the Navy Blue Angels.

"Fat Albert" is a C-130T Hercules cargo plane, capable of cruise at a speed of more than 320 knots (approximately 360 miles per hour) at 27,000 feet. Four Allison turboprop engines, which produce more than 16,000 shaft-horsepower, provide Fat Albert Airlines with the power to land and depart on runways as short as 2,500 feet.

Seems I got here a day late as the airport was host to the California International Airshow this past weekend, featuring performances by the Canadian Forces Snowbirds in addition to the Blue Angels. Both groups were staying an extra day or two in Salinas, giving me the opportunity to have a look.

0 astute observations :