Monday, July 25, 2005

The Only Smoke I Like

I heard of a guy who travels who puts up pictures of all his meals on his blog. I'm not about to go to those lengths, but perhaps my favorite kind of dinner is bar-b-que. I consider myself something of a bbq snob. I will only eat where the meat is smoked on site. Forget about Applebee's and Chili's and all those crap food chains. They take more shortcuts than I care to think of. There's a reason they smother it in sauce. And you can taste it. I have had bbq in Kansas City, Memphis, Texas, and many points in between, and the very best bbq is found in the mom and pop restaurants across our great land. Now there are a few bbq chains that are actually very good. The plate you see above is from Sonny's Real Pit BBQ, a chain in the southeast US. Another chain is Famous Dave's, that I've seen in the upper midwest. Sadly, my bbq days may be numbered. I had some blood drawn during my last checkup, and the doc wants to talk about it. I have a feeling my cholesterol is a bit out of control. But it was definately great while it lasted!

0 astute observations :