Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Travel Thoughts

I'm going to let you in on a secret: I love to fly. My flight today was aboard a Beechcraft B1900D twin turboprop, which I've lovingly referred to as the "flying minivan". It seats just 19, and with every seat being next to a window AND on the aisle, all constituents are happy. There is no flight attendant to serve drinks, which is fine since there are no lavatories. And did I mention it's as loud and bad sounding as a Spinal Tap concert? But the thing that is really endearing me to this particular plane is the intimacy you feel with the skies around you. It's a feeling you never really get when flying in the larger twin-jet aircraft. I really get the sense of just how small we are in the vast volume of our sky, and at the same time seemingly defying gravity. I suppose you can get the same feeling riding a modern roller coaster, but those rides last no more than three minutes. But, when the wheels hit the ground, it's back to reality.

0 astute observations :