Saturday, February 25, 2006

As Seen in TIME Magazine

It's been a very interesting week. I first noticed some unusual activity in Site Meter, when I started getting referrals from Google that was using my blog title as the search term. Soon, I saw from Technorati that someone linked to my blog from their blog, and there was also a link to TIME magazine. So I went to check it out, and my head immediately grew three sizes larger (which for those who know me, is very large). There it was:

So-called citizen journalists bagged another trophy last week when THE SCIENTIFIC ACTIVIST discovered that NASA public-affairs aide George Deutsch....After he resigned, THIS BLOG TITLE FOR SALE praised the sleuthing as "proof that blog journalism is real." Meanwhile, THE VELVET BLOG pondered updating his own resume "in anticipation of graduating from Harvard and running a Fortune 500 company."
Whoa, I thought, look out for the hits to start piling in. Interestingly enough however, it hasn't turned out that way. In the week since the article hit the internet, I have received in the neighborhood of just 35 hits seeking that article. Which tells me two things: (1) Big media (including TIME) still holds a very different constituency than we here in the blogosphere and, (2) my day job is not in jeopardy. So I won't count this as my 15 minutes of fame just yet. But that head rush felt pretty good.

Technorati Tags: , ,

3 astute observations :

  1. Callisto said...

    It does feel good to know that people are actually visiting your site and even better to know they are reading. I had a 'large' (a few thousand) influx in hits after I linked to an article on Google Earth on the Google Blog. Blissed still get several hits a day from the "Links to this" list on that article, however I doubt whether any of those 'visitors' actually go on to read anything I have written!

  2. richmanwisco said...

    Very good point callisto. It's something you have to get used to, and I suppose most blogs fail because 90% or so of your visitors never come back. So what I want to do is please the 10% that do return and not worry about the rest.

  3. El Marpla said...

    way to go!